- The EU headscarf ruling, or how to undercut your own argument.
- How Great Would This Be?
- This just came in through the contact form
- A Jet-Lagged R4
- Idée Fixe
- My Rejected Submission for "Thought for the Day"
- A Sense of Proportion
- My missed career as a theologian.
- Big increase in the price of paper ahead.
- Never as planned
- Wat de mens gescheiden heeft
- Found on an old hard drive
- Any sufficiently advanced technology
- "For A Successful Life"
- Awash with rage
- Watch, anyone?
- Stand Up for What You Believe in, or Maybe Not
- Convert Now, Before You Change Your Mind
- That Time of Year
- Group Smarts
- It's the Smell, Stupid!
- The Final Copernican Revolution
- The Long March
- Dalton's Beetle
- No problem
- A forum Moderator's Guide out of the Democracy Fallacy
-Girls! Are you ready to leave?
Frantic scuffling noises of hastily grabbed coats and bags fail to issue from upstairs.
5 minutes later. What are these girls up to? So far my wife’s strategy of slowly but noisily making towards the exit and threatening to leave alone has met with little success. The issue has had me vexed – until a week ago.
You know, I’ve always wondered what it is exactly that women do when they dally about in bedrooms and bathrooms while other family members pace restlessly by the front door fiddling car keys. But I only recently realised that, what with actually having women in the house, I could just go and find out. I’ve done this several times now and I’ve gotten none the wiser.
What happened each time was that just as I poked my head round the girls’ room door I got swept away by a gust of females rushing past, barely pausing to look daggers at me and growl “I said we were coming! You never trust us!”
This led me to formulate my Quantum Theory of Female Vestimentary Preparedness. Teenage women preparing to go out will remain in an indeterminate state of readiness until observed, at which point the wave function instantly collapses into an immaculately dressed and quite stunning apparition.
I’m expecting the call from the Nobel committee any time now.
Sunday 18 December 2011